Thursday, November 29, 2012

Surviving and Thriving as a Stay-at-Home Mom

When I first quit my career to stay at home with my infant daughter full-time, I knew I had a lot to learn but no idea how much…

I had no idea what I was doing. There had been no children in my life since I was a child and I babysat my cousins (and that was ages ago!). I’d never been much of a cook ‒ and I had previously hired a cleaning service ‒ so the word “homemaking” really had no meaning for me. All my friends were single and working during the day. So while I spent a lot of time on Facebook, I didn’t actually speak with anyone other than my husband, who I mostly fought with, and my daughter, who could only babble.

My neighbor is the one who rescued me. She invited me over for coffee while we watched her kids and mine play in the front room. She introduced me to MOPS and reacquainted me with the love of Jesus through her gentle example. She introduced me to other moms who were supportive and kind. They were so helpful, inclusive and non-judgmental. To this day, I am hugely grateful for MOPS and still attend meetings, even though I’m two states away from where I began. 

To continue reading click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment