Thursday, November 17, 2011

Things That I am Thankful For

Things you didn’t know you were thankful for.
You know on Thanksgiving Day, when you’re all gathered around the table and you’re supposed to go around and say what you’re thankful for? Does anyone else freeze up at that point? It’s not like I’m not thankful for anything. I actually consider myself a very thankful person. But when under pressure and everyone is staring at you it can be kind of hard to come up with something. No, scratch that. It can be hard to come up with something that is original. Let’s face it. We’re all thankful for our families. We’re all thankful for good health, if we have it. We all know that we are thankful for more than that, but have you ever listed the things you’re thankful for? I thought I’d give it a go and list some things that I’m thankful for with a little explanation for the ones that are a bit obscure.
I’m thankful for shelter. It’s a basic human need, especially in MN. It’s cold out as I’m writing this. Let’s add electricity, heat, and running water to that. Those are self-explanatory I think.
I’m thankful that my shelter is like a palace to me. I live in a beautiful home in a beautiful neighborhood. I’m not saying that to be conceited. I grew up in a 2 bedroom trailer with my parents in one room and me and my two older brothers in the other. I never dreamed in a million years that I would ever own a “mansion” like I live in now. I’m amazed and blessed and truly thankful.
I’m thankful for food in abundance. When so many are living in extreme poverty throughout the world with little to nothing to eat each day, I am very thankful that I can eat (and eat as much as I want, if truth be told). I have choices. I’m thankful for choices.
I just came from the Westwood Women’s Holiday Dessert with Sara Renner singing her heart out and proclaiming her love for Jesus. I’m thankful that I can openly participate in something so openly Christian. I’m thankful I have a church that I can publicly go to and that I don’t have to worship in secret, that I don’t fear for my life because I believe in Jesus. We have no idea what it would mean to some believers to have this amazing opportunity.
I am thankful for being able to drive by a parked car on the side of the road and not worry about it blowing up as I drive past. America may have some safety and justice issues, but I can be pretty sure that I won’t have to worry about a terrorist at the grocery store with my kids. And I don’t have to worry about a corrupt police system that hides the most evil of evils.
I am thankful that I can read, write and do math. I may have hated going to school every day, but it is a privilege that we all too often take for granted.
I am thankful for Godly friends that I can be real with and who I know will point me back to God when I stumble.
I am thankful for easy access to high quality medical care and for insurance. And while I’m at it, I am thankful for advances in science like pain relief, hand washing and antibiotics (a certain PBS show made me realize how very thankful I am for these things).
I am thankful for the bible where I can know about God. And I’m even more thankful that I have no less than 7 bibles, each a different version with a different emphasis in the footnotes. Do you know what some people would give for just one?

Okay, maybe a little weighty, a little deep. But when I think about the quality of my life, how amazingly much I’ve been given, I am floored. When compared to most in this world, it’s embarrassing. And the crazy thing is that these are just things which will one day pass away. Let’s be thankful for those things that do not pass away.
I am thankful that God created me just to be loved by Him.
I am thankful for the Holy Spirit to guide me and teach me about God’s will for me.
I am thankful for Jesus’ sacrifice, just for me, and for His example on how to live a life worth living.
Amen!

Michelle Schwake
Eveing MOPs Coordinator

No comments:

Post a Comment